ITP: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Get a printable version here to bring with you to your next appointment!
Having a blood disease like ITP means you look fine to the outside world. Meanwhile, you may find yourself obsessing over your platelet count level or feeling anxious about how to avoid a bleeding injury. An open and honest dialogue with your doctor can help you become more comfortable with your condition and treatment.
Coming up with a list of questions before your scheduled visit can help you make the most out of your appointment. Here are some questions you may want to ask:
- How slowly or quickly is my ITP progressing?
- What are some treatments that might work for me?
- What are the side effects for any medications I'm taking?
- What are the side effects for any supplements I'm taking?
- If I take [x] treatment, when can I expect my symptoms to improve? How will I know?
- Should I look into alternative therapies to complement my treatment plan?
- Can anything help me not be so fatigued?
- How will I know if I need to make changes to my treatment plan?
- What kinds of exercises do you suggest?
- What can I do each day to take better care of myself?
- What should I be eating and what foods should I avoid?
- What type of follow-up tests will I receive and how often?
- What symptoms should prompt me to call you?
- When should I come back for my next checkup?
- Where can I learn more about ITP?